This project is read-only.

Cannot Install 0.6.1.0 for WHS v1

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM

First of all Serviio is a great program and for that reason, I was anxious to upgrade to 0.6.1.0. However, after installing the latest version of Servio, the Serviio Status Indicator remains stuck in a constant "...wait..." state. None of the tabs are functional. I do not see any activity in task manager to indicate that the Serviio service has started.

• Previous installs to 0.6.1.0, were Windows executable version 0.6.0.1 and WHS 0.5.2.0.
  • Uninstalled each version before installing the next.
  • Ran CCleaner
  • Removed any registry references to Serviio
  • Reinstalled 0.6.1.0 with the same results.

I'm not sure whats going on. Could it be related to a login credentials?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I assume that if you went through all of that, you did a reboot, as well? I know that I had to do that both on my WHS v1 and my WHS 2011 boxes (though in both cases I upgraded, thinking that would probably be the most common). Assuming so:

1) Can you run the Serviio Console using Remote Desktop?

2) If not, could you try installing one more time (without the uninstall...just a second install). And then be sure to reboot.

3) If that doesn't work, can you take a look at the Java applet in your Control Panel (using Remote Desktop)? What version are you running?

4) Also, take a look at C:\Program Files\Serviio\log\serviio.log. Are there any clues there as to what might be happening?

5) I don't THINK it'll have anything to do with credentials. It really sounds like something's not quite kosher with your Serviio installation.

Sorry you're running into difficulties.

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:29 AM

ptyork, thanks for your quick response.

Yes, rebooting the server was part of the process when the installation failed.

1) Can you run the Serviio Console using Remote Desktop?

Nope, still "...wait..." ing

2) If not, could you try installing one more time (without the uninstall...just a second install). And then be sure to reboot.

No add-in  available. Serviio is already installed. You have to uninstall before installing.

3) If that doesn't work, can you take a look at the Java applet in your Control Panel (using Remote Desktop)? What version are you running?

Version 6, update 29 (build 1.6.0_29-b11)

4) Also, take a look at C:\Program Files\Serviio\log\serviio.log. Are there any clues there as to what might be happening?

That's interesting. No Serviio folder in: C:\Program Files\

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Alright, I just want to make sure we're 100% on the same page since #4 made me scratch my head a bit. When I say "remote desktop" I mean "Start\All Programs\Accessories\Remote Desktop Connection." It should bring up a log in window (just like logging in to your own computer...except you're logging in to your WHS box). Log in using the "Administrator" user and the password you use to connect to WHS. I'm assuming since you talked about all that registry cleaning and such we are on the same page, but just want to make sure.

If we're on the same page, then for #1 I meant...from the desktop of your remotely connected WHS box, click "Start\All Programs\Serviio\Serviio Console" (not WHS Console if that was what you thought I meant). You may have to do this a couple times for it to show up, as it start minimized to one of those little icons in the bottom right. Anyway, this is the original, Java-based controller for Serviio (the thing that my Add-In is really intended to replace). If this starts and you can manage Serviio using this console, then there is a problem with the add-in.

For #2, I meant to reinstall Serviio Media Server, not the add-in. What is showing below the Serviio WHS banner? "Serviio Service Stopped" or "Serviio Service Unavailable"?

For #3, assuming same page, then this is actually newer than mine and should be just fine.

For #4, this is very strange. Again double-check you're looking at the C drive of your WHS box and not the C drive of your own PC (sorry if that sounds patronizing, but I've made that mistake a billion times). If there's truly no Serviio folder in Program Files on the C drive of your WHS box, then it is definitely not installed.

If WHS console is somehow stuck in a way that it cannot download and install Serviio, then A) I need to fix this :), and B) you'll need to download Serviio manually. Again from your remote desktop window, open internet explorer and navigate to http://www.serviio.org. Click the download tab and get the latest Windows installer. Save it somewhere and run it from your remote desktop session. This is really all that I do "under the covers," but perhaps a second, manual install will do the trick.

Hope this helps a little. If none of this works, I've got a couple more things to check, but I definitely want to make sure that the Serviio server is properly installed before trying to diagnose too much more with regard to the add-in.

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Alright, I just want to make sure we're 100% on the same page since #4 made me scratch my head a bit. When I say "remote desktop" I mean "Start\All Programs\Accessories\Remote Desktop Connection." It should bring up a log in window (just like logging in to your own computer...except you're logging in to your WHS box). Log in using the "Administrator" user and the password you use to connect to WHS. I'm assuming since you talked about all that registry cleaning and such we are on the same page, but just want to make sure.

Yes. I logged on via Remote Desktop Connection as "Administrator" to my HP Smartserver EX495.

If we're on the same page, then for #1 I meant...from the desktop of your remotely connected WHS box, click "Start\All Programs\Serviio\Serviio Console" (not WHS Console if that was what you thought I meant). You may have to do this a couple times for it to show up, as it start minimized to one of those little icons in the bottom right. Anyway, this is the original, Java-based controller for Serviio (the thing that my Add-In is really intended to replace). If this starts and you can manage Serviio using this console, then there is a problem with the add-in.

For #2, I meant to reinstall Serviio Media Server, not the add-in. What is showing below the Serviio WHS banner? "Serviio Service Stopped" or "Serviio Service Unavailable"?

I think this is the problem. The Add-In is not recognizing that the Serviio Media Server is not install nor does it ask to install it. I'll bet that somewhere in my WHS there is a reference to the previous Windows version 0.6.0.1 I installed on my server. Perhaps the program thought Serviio Media Server was still installed.

For #3, assuming same page, then this is actually newer than mine and should be just fine.

For #4, this is very strange. Again double-check you're looking at the C drive of your WHS box and not the C drive of your own PC (sorry if that sounds patronizing, but I've made that mistake a billion times). If there's truly no Serviio folder in Program Files on the C drive of your WHS box, then it is definitely not installed.

If WHS console is somehow stuck in a way that it cannot download and install Serviio, then A) I need to fix this :), and B) you'll need to download Serviio manually. Again from your remote desktop window, open internet explorer and navigate to http://www.serviio.org. Click the download tab and get the latest Windows installer. Save it somewhere and run it from your remote desktop session. This is really all that I do "under the covers," but perhaps a second, manual install will do the trick.

Ok, I downloaded the latest Windows installer and configured all the setting. At this point, Servio is running and the icon appears in the tray. However, Serviio doesn't appear to be working. I'll reboot and let it churn for the night. Tomorrow's a new day.

Hope this helps a little. If none of this works, I've got a couple more things to check, but I definitely want to make sure that the Serviio server is properly installed before trying to diagnose too much more with regard to the add-in.

Ptyork many thanks for all your hard work and assistance!

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Peter,

Got Serviio working this morning without the console add-in. For some unknown reason, I could not get the Serviio Console and the WHS Console to work at the same time. I ended up uninstalling both programs and then re-installing the Serviio Console. Looking forward to using the WHS Console again.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Glad you got Serviio working. Can you try just installing the WHS add-in again? If Serviio is installed and working properly, there is no reason that the add-in should not be able to control it. If it doesn't work, I might ask you to look at a log file to see if I can diagnose what problem(s) might be occurring so that I can (potentially) correct if for others. Regardless, it will NOT adversely affect your working Serviio installation. They are quite independent.

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM

The WHS Console is alive and well. I believe the problem can be attributed to another add-in that was being resolved. A corrupt user.config file was blocking the console. As soon as I deleted the file, Serviio syncd with the console and everything started working perfectly. Crazy stuff.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Whew! Glad you got it up and running. WHS v1 didn't do a very good job (i.e., none at all) of isolating add-ins from one another. This makes some sense now. It sounds like Serviio STARTED initializing (thus the wait message), but then actually locked up waiting for the other add-in to complete whatever process it began at startup. To speed up startup times, I designed ServiioWHS to be VERY light at startup (only checking the service status, basically--deferring even the loading of my internal tabs and resources until you access them for the first time), but others, for better or worse, do quite a bit of initialization when the console starts.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Thanks so much for all your help. Excellent program. Where do I contribute?